Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spiritual Unity @ Joe's Pub 5/13/09

I saw it before, at The Stone, but probably 3 or 4 years ago. My memory was that it was very mellow and I couldn't pick up on the Ayler. Well, that memory was completely false. I think I was mixing it up with some solo shows or something. This music was intense and I definitely tell it was all Albert Ayler.

Roy Campbell joined the trio after a short break and they became a quartet playing Albert Ayler music.

It was awesome. I felt the music running through me the whole time. I tried to get up to dance, but then I heard some sounds from the bar so I sat again. The sounds were blocked by that wall where that community seating area up the steps is. Much better. I've found its much better to be downstairs simply due to the noise the bartenders make. What ever happened to that awesome bartender during Terence Blanchard Katrina benefit who considered herself a professional and really knew how to do everything, including making drinks with ice, quietly? I wanted to find her again and be her agent to get all the jazz clubs and have her teach their staff how to do it.

Anyway, I had to leave a few minutes early, I was just too tired. I left just before 11:30, all filled up. I suspect it went til 11:30-11:45.

No comments: