Friday, May 8, 2009

Fairgrounds 5/1/09

I made it there at about 12-12:30. I loved the clarinet woodshed in the jazz tent. The 3 clarinets were Evan Christopher, Gregory Agid, and Tim Laughlin. I think I got one song with Tim, one song with Evan, and then one song with all 3. Shannon Powell was on the drums and Roland Guerin was on bass. David Torkanowsky on piano. Someone named Duke was on guitar, probably Todd Duke. It was awesome.

I caught the very end of Forgotten Souls Brass Band and it sounded awesome.

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band & the Glass House Reunion with Rebirth Brass Band was awesome. It was especially great when Rebirth and Trombone Shorty took the stage. There was more of the intense horns I was looking for the night before. It was awesome.

Still, I left that set a little early so I could get to Twangorama at the Lagniappe stage. I hadn't seen them in a while. Its 2 guitars, 2 basses, and drums. It was great and held me for the whole set.

After that, I caught some of Cheik Hamala Diabate. I was sucked into the Jazz Tent earlier for them. When I noticed they were playing again later at the Lagniappe stage, I knew I would prefer that. I loved it. Cheik plays the ngoni from Mali. I'm pretty sure that was Toumani Diabate on kora, and they are likely related. Actually, I think Cheik is also in Toumani's band. I'm forgetting it now, but it was really awesome and I wish I could remember more about the instrumentation. I vaguely remember there was a singer that I liked.

I then caught some snippets here and there before leaving for the day, I guess around 5-6. I wanted to stay for Pancho Sanchez, but I was too tired.

No comments: