Sunday, May 10, 2009

Fairgrounds 5/2/09

I skipped Fri night. I did wake up a couple of times and could have gone out, but when I was looking at the listings, nothing was calling me. Sleep was calling me much more.

I'm so glad because I'm sure I enjoyed the fest more. I was well-rested and felt perfect. I saw a lot of incredible music as I was there 11:30-7. Resting is important for the legs, also. My legs were very close to normal after being on them so much and walking down all those stairs earlier that week.

For the first time ever, I started paying attention to the critic's picks in Gambit Weekly. I had noticed they were pretty good at picking, so I owed it to myself to give them a try.

I basically started my first stay-for-a-bit in the Jazz tent for Mario Abney Quintet, which had 6 people. It was so good and lively I had to get up and dance. Mario plays trumpet and there was an alto and tenor as well as bass and drums. I don't know who any of them were, but they were all fantastic.

Next I made my way over to the Lagniappe Stage for Tony Green's Gypsy Jazz. That was great Django Rheinhardt style and I stayed for a few. I think he was playing with 3 guys from other countries.

I made the rounds and then got back to the Jazz Tent for Kidd Jordon. It was awesome. William Parker was there. Later I found out that Kidd often brings Parker down for his jazzfest gig. His longtime drummer, Al Fielder was sick. I don't know who he had instead. There was also a trumpet and 2 pianos. An electric bass joined later in the set. It was great and I stayed for the whole thing.

I made it back a little later for Ensemble Fatien featuring Seguenon Kone, Dr. Micheal White, and Jason Marsalis. There were a bunch of others up there including Matt Perrine on bass. I loved this mainly World/African with a touch of jazz band.

I had been in and out of the Blues Tent a few times and around to other stuff for a bit, like Dr. John. I did a rest of sitting on a bench out by the Gentilly exit and listened to Kings of Leon at the Gentilly Stage. I never realized that was possible before.

I ended the day with the entire Midnight Disturbers set. I enjoyed that a lot and it had everything that was missing the other night. Skerik was there as well.

Yup, my favorite leg of the trip.

No comments: