Sunday, May 17, 2009

Marco Benevento Trio @ Merkin Hall 5/14/09

That was awesome! They did a song and then the radio guy interviewed Marco for a few minutes. I never knew he used a guitar pickup thingy, or that one of his toys was some kind of nintendo thing.

The set was really great. Its that type of music that stirs up a lot in me. It happens with Ribot, too. But, Marco and The Bad Plus choose a type of "emotional type songs". Its hard to describe, but just look at some of the covers they do and you can get a sense.

I was really into the bass this set, also. He was a lot of fun to watch. I often don't really see him in the dark rooms when I'm grooving. Actually, it was kind of a blessing to have to sit for this. I got a totally different perspective sitting in a well-lit room and loved the music just as much as ever.

This was perfect and worth blowing off what I'm sure was an amazing Ribot show at The Stone.

The listing:
Situated at the nexus of contemporary classical, jazz and rock and roll, The Bad Plus brings its all-out, uninhibited style to pop standards and its own compositions. They'll be joined by the Benevento/Mathis/Barr Trio—a keyboard/bass/drum combo that tests the limits of indie rock. This New Sounds® Live event is hosted by WNYC’s John Schaefer.

No comments: