Friday, May 29, 2009

Composer's Workshop Ensemble @ BPC 5/28/09

This was simply listed as "Warren Smith, $6". I love Warren Smith and I was curious what he would be doing. I got there at 8:15, just before they came on. I was surprised to see so many musicians up on stage. 2 tenors, a soprano, baritone, and alto for saxes. Warren and the other vibraphone/drummer took turns on each instrument. Euphonium, cornet, 2 trumpets, trombone and percussionist that mainly played congas. Oh, and a guitar and an upright bass. I think that was it last night, but there are more on the CD. It was actually a CD release party. I go the CD and love it as much as the show.

I danced in the back the whole time. Lots of great solos. I love the music. It has a wide range. There's even some free and improvised music at the end. Somewhere in the middle they did a Beatles tune, which was the only one not on the CD.

Here's a better listing than what I had seen earlier:
Warren Smith’s Composers Workshop Ensemble
Bowery Poetry Club
308 Bowery (between Bleecker and Houston Sts)
East Village Map
212-614-0505
Subway: B, D, F, V to Broadway–Lafayette St; 6 to Bleecker St Directions
http://www.bowerypoetry.com
Prices
Tickets: $6
Description
Percussionist Warren Smith is legendary for his sensitive playing in free-jazz contexts, but he has also worked with pop stars like Aretha Franklin and Van Morrison (even appearing on the latter’s epochal Astral Weeks record). Tonight he leads a large ensemble stocked with fellow veterans, including Cecil Bridgewater, Joe Daley and Clare Daly.
When
May 28 8pm

No comments: