Sunday, May 10, 2009

Brian Coogin @ Donna's 5/3/09

I was a little disappointed when I got to Donna's and found out Shannon Powell wasn't playing. I haven't seen his band, which includes Roland Guerin and Jason Marsalis, since my one and only Mardi Gras trip - the 1st one after Katrina.

But, right when I found out they weren't playing, I noticed some great piano sounds coming from inside. It was Brian Coogin! Yeah! I really wanted to see him this trip. He had Brian Seeger and a good sax up there with him. The Tin Men were going to come over for the next set - I had just left my friends at Frenchman St and noticed they were onstage at dba then.

The music was awesome and a great way to start the evening. Actually, I caught a little street music on Frenchmman, but not much.

I talked to Brian after his set, which ended a little after 11. He helped me strategize the rest of my evening and what was doable ...

No comments: