Sunday, May 17, 2009

Marc Ribot @ LPR 5/15/09

I got there at about 7:15 and Cotito Trio was on - probably on their 2nd or 3rd song. I think it was a better choice to have them on 1st as opposed to 2nd like they did last week. Soon after, they brought Ribot up to finish the set (about 30-40 min set in total). It was good. I enjoyed the cuchon. I did enjoy it more last week, but it might have been due to all the talkers.

The Columbian band,
La Cumbiamba eNeYe, was awesome! They were awesome enough for the talkers to shut up and listen once they got to the heavy percussion. They started out with some interesting reeds and then moved on and had us really going. Marc Ribot and Shazaad Ismaily (base) came out at about the 2nd or 3rd song and played until the end of the set. I loved this set, loved being able to really dance. This was definitely my favorite portion of the evening. I think the set was about 4d minutes, which was longer than the one last week.

Los Cubanos Postizos was great. I do have to admit it got a little old to hear the same set again. I still enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it more at the smaller space last week. I forgot to mention they had a conga player with them both this show and last week's.

MARC RIBOT RETROSPECTIVE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
Part of a week-long celebration taking place in venues around the city.
Marc Ribot's Los Cubanos Postizos / Cotito Trio with Marc Ribot / La Cumbiamba eNeYe with Marc Ribot

No comments: