Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jazzfest Leg 5 @ Fairgrounds 5/5/11

Amanda Shaw and the cute guys was phenomenal.  I need to see her at a night gig sometime.  She and her band are awesome.  I believe she plays violin on Treme.  I think every time we hear Annie, it's actually Amanda.

Djakout #1 of Haiti was good.  It couldn't hold me, but I wasn't against what I heard.

The James Booker Piano Tribute in the Blues Tent was phenomenal.  Joe Krown blew me away.  I couldn't get to the whole thing, but I loved what I got.  Joe Krown is going to be at Sullivan Hall on 5/27, and I just might have to check it out.

Cyndi Lauper was good.  I have to admit her voice pitch isn't to my liking, but she has a great voice AND a great band.  She had Charlie Musselwhite in her band.  It's a blues band.  I don't know if she did any of her hits that people in the crowd were shouting out.

I did the walkaround before leaving at about 6:30.  I caught a little Wilco, some Maceo Parker, heard Ruthie Foster belting it out from the Blues Tent and thoroughly enjoyed the Three Stooges Brass Band at the Jazz & Heritage stage.

I was basically at the Fairgrounds 11-6:30 and out til 3:30 the night before.  I ended up sleeping through most of the night.  That was good so I could rest up for a full fest day.

No comments: