Monday, May 16, 2011

Jazzfest Leg 1 @ Fairgrounds 5/6/11

We Landed on the Moon looked good, I just wasn't in the mood for the Indie genre. I instead spent some time at Michael Skinkus & Moyuba. I like the African-influenced concept. I could feel the music, but it wasn't blowing me away that day.  The jazzfest site listing says "Percussionist Skinkus, who, for the last 20 years has added rhythms to various New Orleans groups of different musical genres, formed this band in 2002 in order to utilize Yoruba sacred songs and Cuban rhythms as a base for his original material."  I love how diverse the musicians are in NOLA.  I want to see a Skinkus night show sometime.

I did walk by the very end of We Landed on the Moon, and realized I should have probably given it more time to grab me. They really are good. I found a review of the performance here.

No comments: