Monday, September 29, 2008

The Bad Plus @ The Village Vanguard 9/28/08

It was the same set, but it wasn't. They did play the same songs, but they were longer. There was a little more commentary about the songs as well. I'm comparing it to the earlier set I saw last Wed.

I couldn't get an up front seat, which was fine as my 2nd choice is to dance in the back. It was even more awesome than the other night. The last set of a run is a very good time to go, especially when they are enjoying it as much as they did.

This time when the did the arrangement that was based on Heart of Gold, David King broke out some toys, I couldn't tell what they were, but they kind of looked like 2 aliens or something and it looked sort of like he was playing with them. He still did the similar drumming, but with the alien things. That arrangement was by someone else, Milton something, and it had a different title. It was the only song that wasn't composed by one of the 3 band members. The line they sing acapella is "I've been searching for a heart of gold. I've been searching and I'm growing old". I thought it was interesting that I forgot the growing old part in my post the other day.

Loraine, the owner even stayed til the end. They played til 12:20. They left the stage, the lights came on, the audience went crazy. I'm getting ready to go and they come back up on the stage for an encore! I assume that was the only time they did an encore that run. They did that arrangement based on the Burt Baccarach song. I'm sorry I'm too tired to look up name spellings. I could have found that bassist at Jazz Standard, but I'm feeling lazy.

Anyway, it was awesome and I loved that Loraine stayed til the end. I'm so impressed that she thought to book them in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, totally unrelated, but Kenny Wollesen's Himalayas will be at Zebulon tonight (Wednesday the 8th of October). Hope you can make it.