Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Luminescent Orchestrii @ Joe's Pub 9/2/08

It was between this and Soundpainting at Bowery Poetry Club. I opted for this for timing reasons, a lot of BPC music shows tend to start late and last time I was surprised by an opener. It was listed as 10pm and I'm trying to pace for the week.

This was a good choice. It wasn't very crowded, they didn't even ask people if they had a table res, just told them to sit wherever they wanted. That meant I could get the dancing spot stage left, in the area before the steps.

This is a good band. I know about them because they play Barbes often and since I almost never get there, I try to get to see bands that play there when I can when they come to Manhattan.

I saw them a few months ago at Drom for the first time. I think they had a guest drummer that show. This was their regular band, 2 violins, an upright bass, and a guitar. They also had a clarinet sit in a couple of numbers.

It was great. The music is very diverse, but always had a gypsy influence. I enjoyed all of it.

I got called out for dancing. It's because they want to point out that it's OK to dance and encourage others. I usually hate it when they do that, but I didn't mind last night. I even gestured to the rest of the audience to come and join me. At one point, a girl came up and danced by me for a bit. At the end, 3 girls got up and came over to my "dance floor". I know how it is, more people want to dance, they just can't bring themselves to do it unless there's more people out there.

It was a lot of fun and good for a Tues after a holiday. I would say there were about 35-40 people there.

No comments: