Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Edmar Castaneda @ Dizzy's 9/1/08

That was a great way to start off the month. I don't know if I will ever get tired of that band. I love that his trio has drums and trombone. His wife was there to sing a few as well. I like singers that are good and sing in another language. She also doesn't overpower the music, she enhances it. I'm sorry I had to miss her band at Jazz Standard, which included Dana Leong and Edmar last month. I hope to get another chance at some point.

I went to the 9:30 set, which started around 9:40ish and went to about 10:50ish. It was so awesome. Dizzy's is so nice. I had my dancing spot. I moved from one side of the kitchen door to the other. It means I'm not as in their way and I don't have to watch quite as much food walk by, which was kind of torturous.

It started with a couple from the trio. Then, Edmar did a solo song. Then the trio came out again. After that Andrea joined them. She stayed out for a duo with Edmar. Then I think another trio song, maybe 2. The 2nd to last song had a lot of trombone which was awesome. They ended with all 4 of them. Actually, I think they did another short one before they left. It was great and I felt I got my $20 worth.

They kept referring to the drummer as "the one with 4 hands". I love his setup. He had a bunch of triangles and some coil metal thing, a full kit, and then some hand drums right in with the kit. There was other stuff I can't remember right now. He was great.

I was so impressed, I had to look up everyone's websites. I'll have to keep an eye out for all of them.

Edmar Castaneda Trio
Marshall Gilkes - trombone
Dave Siliman - drums
w/ Special Guest Andrea Tierra - vocals

No comments: