Monday, September 29, 2008

Dave Douglas, Randy Brecker & Josh Evans @ Jazz Standard

Another 3 trumpets. 3 trumpets + Uri Caine + badass drummer and great bassist. I've looked at the FONT schedule a number of times in many different ways: on-line, the program, the postcard, etc. All more than once. But, nothing stuck and stayed in my head. I'm glad I made it to a couple. It's in it's 6th year and I love it.

These 3 trumpets were phenomenal. What is even more amazing is that for most of the set, they were more like background to the excellent trio. Uri was stellar. I was glad to see how much they had just the trio playing during the songs. But, again, these 3 trumpets were awesome.

I feel like I've seen Randy Brecker in a fancier setting. Maybe "Hall jazz" or at Dizzy's or something. I don't think I've ever seen Josh Evans, but I'm not sure.

I haven't seen Clarence Penn in a while that I recall. He was awesome. He had a great drum solo toward the end.

James Genus is listed at the bass player, but it was someone else. A New Zealand guy I've seen before that was great and I can't remember his name. Penman maybe.

This set cinched it, I had to get back to The Vanguard for the last set of The Bad Plus. I wanted to see what it was like to hear Ethan Iverson after Uri Caine.

Dave Douglas, Randy Brecker & Josh Evans
Dave Douglas – trumpet
Randy Brecker – trumpet
Josh Evans – trumpet
Uri Caine – piano, Fender Rhodes
James Genus – bass
Clarence Penn – drums

No comments: