Wednesday, September 17, 2008

James Blood Ulmer with the Memphis Blood Blues Band featuring Vernon Reid @ Jazz Standard 9/14/08

They started with an instrumental before bringing up James Blood Ulmer for the rest of the show. It was awesome blues. I recognized a lot of the songs. Some were Greatful Dead favorites.
I remember a few years ago when Ulmer opened for Mule and it was awful. Luckily I had a conversation with Greg some time after that and he set me straight that it was the wrong venue for him.

Everyone on stage was awesome. My favorite was the organ. I was kind of surprised by that. It was just a matter of degree since they were all great.

I was disappointed there was no violin. The original listing had Charlie Burnham and it was later changed to Mazz swift, but neither of them were there. I saw Mazz tuning up for the 2nd set, so I'm not sure what was up with that. It was a great show regardless.

James Blood Ulmer with the Memphis Blood Blues Band featuring Vernon Reid
James Blood Ulmer – guitar, vocals
Vernon Reid – guitar
Charles Burnham – violin
David Barnes – harmonica
Leon Gruenbaum – piano, Hammond B-3, melodica
Mark Peterson – bass
Aubrey Dale – drums

No comments: