Wednesday, September 17, 2008

KOTKOT @ Abrons Arts Center 9/13/08

Kotkot was great. I had my choice of center of any row up front. I chose the 4th, I didn't really like the front row that one time. I did have people on each side of me. It wasn't that full, or that empty.

When they started they announced Amir, Ribot, Cyro, and Adam Holtzman, but no Shazaad. I didn't think Adam was on the bill. Then, right when they started, Shazaad plugged in his bass and started right with them. After about a 1/2 hour, Amir introduced the band and mentioned Shazaad showed up at the last second. I for one was very glad as his low, loud, super-grooving electric bass added a lot. The way he was standing and holding the bass reminded me of George Porter Jr. Just the way he was standing, his playing was quite different yet still quite awesome.

At first, I thought it was too loud. I found myself wishing I had my earplugs. I was also complaining to myself that I really didn't want to be sitting. I wanted to be up in the back dancing. It only took a few minutes for me to completely forget my complaints and get completely absorbed in the music. It was awesome and I didn't notice it being too loud and wanted it to go on forever. It was a great 90 minute set. I think after about 45 min the people on my left got up and went. That meant I could have moved to the back. I found I preferred to be up front, grooving in my chair.

I don't think I ever heard of Amir Ziv before, but he was a great drummer/percussionist. I think he had at least 2 of each type of drum you usually see in a trap kit. He also had a lot of interesting cymbals and bells.

I still need to listen to the cd, but I'm looking forward to it.

09/13 - Amir ZIV presents KOTKOT @ Abrons Arts Center
Amir Ziv (drums) , Marc Ribot (guitar), Cyro Baptista (percussion), and Shahzad Ismaily (bass) celebrate the release of their debut record "Alive At Tonic".

No comments: