Thursday, October 23, 2008

Red Commie Storm @ The Stone 10/22/08

These 3 are all great, worthy of improv night. I also haven't seen anything ultra creative in a while, since September, probably that night at The Delancy.

It was awesome. I've seen Wu Fei before. At improv night and that time at The Stone when Carla Kihlstedt was curating. She was the one at the March Improv Night with the large string instrument I couldn't identify. It turns out she is Chinese, not Japanese.

She said she's always been intrigued by the Red Communist Party in China. Her family wasn't involved, but she noticed members always got good benefits in China. She was also fascinated by Chairman Mao. I remember a Chinese friend used to talk about him occasionally. I've also brushed up against Chinese history in my tea explorations. She got me more interested.

The music was phenomenal. 3 great string improvisers that fit very well together. I loved their interaction. Seabrook stuck to the banjo. I'm not sure if he even brought the guitar. Wu did some chanting/singing, like she did that March Improv Night as well. It was awesome and only about 45 minutes or so.

Last night:
Red Commie Storm
Wu Fei (guzheng) Trevor Dunn (bass) Brandon Seabrook (banjo, guitar)

Here's the one from 2005 that I still think about:
8/17 Wednesday
8 and 10 pm
Wu Fei, Carla Kihlstedt, Ikue Mori, Sylvie
Courvosier, Kiku Day
Wu Fei (gu zheng) Carla Kihlstedt (violin) Ikue Mori (electronics) Sylvie
Courvosier (piano) Kiku Day (shakuhachi)

No comments: