Monday, October 20, 2008

Wayne Horvitz and Sweeter Than the Day @ The Stone 10/19/08

I'm so glad I saw Martin at Blue Note the night before. When the show was over he mentioned that Wayne Horvitz was going to be at The Stone and it would be great. I wouldn't have gone to the early set otherwise.

It WAS great. It fit in well with my weekend music. It was bluesy, funky, quiet, and uplifting, not all at once, just at various moments. It kind of ran a lot of the gamut of soulful music. They were all great. I'm not sure if I'd seen any of them before or not. I had my living room seat, but I kind of wished I could get up and dance. I was eying the spot on the other side of the room, next to the seats, but it was too late. There were people sitting in my other dancing spot between the seats and the wall.

It was really great and I was into all of it. The quiet parts were the 2 songs where Sara Shoenbeck sat in with her bassoon. For the first of those, it started with just her and Wayne for a while and then the guitar and bass joined in, there were no drums. The other one had everyone playing quiet. It was the more different part of the set.

The rest, both before and after, was either bluesy or funky or both. It all still had an experimental flair. I tended to be fixated either on the piano or guitar, but I loved the bass and drums in the background.

It was also nice to be back at the Stone.

Wayne Horvitz and Sweeter Than the Day
Wayne Horvitz (piano) Timothy Young (guitar) Tim Luntzel (bass) Dan Reiser (drums)
Songs from "American Bandstand, Sweeter Than the Day" and their newest CD "A Walk in the Dark".

No comments: