Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Transformational Concert @ Manhattan Theatre Company 1/8/12

This was an event composed of several different performances by very talented musicians, vocalists, actors, and comedians.  The proceeds went to a wonderful organization, Les Petits Okapis International, which sends street kids from The Congo to school.  They have a great success rate and it's well-run and it's impressive what they've been able to accomplish.

These were amazing friends from Ariel & Shya Kane's Instantaneous Transformation Workshops.  These workshops tend to attract healthy, driven people who are interested in looking at their lives and open to new possibilities.  Since I've been attending, I've been much happier.  I say "yes" to my life as it's showing up in each moment more than ever before.  They teach how to be where you are, aka live in the moment in a modern, practical, down to earth way.

The performances were phenomenal.  I don't usually go for singers but these were extra special.  Ursula Oelke from Switzerland accompanied most of them on piano, which was fabulous.  Eric Ruben was a wonderful and entertaining MC.

The first act was Val Paik on clarinet, Ursula on piano and Joe Cilmi on vocals.  They did "Bei Mir Bist du Schoen".  I love clarinet.  Val is very talented.  She also bellydances, and I've written about her various times in the past on my blog.

Next Colleen Messina blew me away singing "Just the Way You Look Tonight", which seemed like a jazz tune to me.  After that she did the wonderful and fun "He Started to Yodel" which has a county flair.

Then Joe came back up to sing "In My Life".  I don't know if I ever heard that before.

After that, we had a funny story from Henry Bascomb (aka Chaitanya), giving us a Maine Humor act.

I don't usually go in for Opera, but the 2 pieces we got here were incredible.  This first one was "Flower Duet" with Ursula Oelke and Kat Ross.  I think I know it from a commercial.  I like a little Opera, I just can't handle an entire 3 hour extravaganza.

Dorothy Rowan then led a Canon entitled Dona Nobis Pacem.  All the singers came up and we were all expected to participate.  I never heard it before, so it was difficult for me.  It was like a "Round" to me.  It sounded nice.

Next was a nice rendition of "My Way", sung by Brian Cody.

Val has been telling me she wants to do "Shepherd on the Rock", a classical piece for piano, clarinet, and voice for some time.  Her desire was fulfilled with Ursula doing both the piano and voice and Val playing the clarinet.  Nice.

Then we got a fun improv skit where Eric Ruben, Andy Schneeflock, and Susan Finch improvised a skit around 3 words from the audience.  They were "nuclear reactor", "sex", and I just can't remember the last one.  It was a good one!

The 2nd Opera piece was Kat Ross doing a solo piece, "Ah' Non Credea" from La Sonnambula.  I almost started crying, she had me so swept up.  She's an amazing actress AND singer.

Then we had a couple of show tunes.  First was "A Wonderful Guy" from South Pacific performed by Leah Schneeflock.  After that a Cole Porter tune, which probably isn't a show tune per se, but reminds me of show tunes.  Eric graced us with that one.

After that, Susan Finch told us an awesome and funny story from her past.  It included speaking to John Lennon at The Dakota.  Her story was also a lead-in to the finale which had us all singing "Imagine".

We get so much out of attending these workshops and we see how diverse the Transformational community is.  We know there are others who would enjoy it, but don't know it exists.  We are imagining to help spread it to other interested parties.  It really is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Writer: LENNON, JOHN

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

http://www.transformationmadeeasy.com/

No comments: