Saturday, February 4, 2012

Kris Davis @ Cornelia St 1/11/12

It was her 10th Anniversary gig at Cornelia Street AND her birthday.  I was proud of myself for having dinner first, so I didn't have to wait out in the cold and expected to get a good table downstairs.  Dinner was fabulous, but we didn't get a great seat due to being 5 people. I wasn't thinking - we could have sat with a few of the solos I knew in the room.  It was still awesome and the spot wasn't that big a deal.

I don't know if this lineup ever performed together in this combination before. It's a great one!

KRIS DAVIS QUINTET
Kris Davis, piano; Matt Maneri, viola; Oscar Noriega, bass clarinet, clarinet; Michael Formanek, bass; Ches Smith, drums

Davis has presented her music at Cornelia Street Cafe for the past 10 years and this concert celebrates that anniversary. For the special occasion she is presenting this exciting new ensemble and a collection of new compositions. "Over the last couple of years in New York one method for deciding where to hear jazz on a given night has been to track down the pianist Kris Davis."--Ben Ratliff, NY Times

No comments: