Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Jon Natchez @ The Stone 2/10/09

I thought Ryan Sawyer was going to be there, but he wasn't. It actually didn't matter at all. 2 drum kits and 3 horns and I knew it was going to be great. It turned out to be REALLY great. I loved every minute of it.

It addition to 2 full drum kits, one guy played trumpet, flugelhorn and euphonium. He did this killer euphonium solo at one point. I just looked him up, and it is Kelly Pratt from The Arcade Fire.

Stuart Bogie played tenor sax and clarinet and sometimes percussion. There were some blown away tenor and clarinet moments with him. It looks like he's from Antibalas.

Jon Natchez played baritone sax, alto sax, bass clarinet, and either alto or piccolo horn, I'm not quite sure which.

I wish I caught the other drummer's name. He was awesome. Nick Petree was there and awesome as well.

The music was all new and creative, but it also had a lot of structure to it. Some of it had a marching band type cadence. Some of it reminded me of Jewish Klezmer type stuff. It was all phenomenal. Right up my alley.

Jon Natchez
Jon Natchez (brass, woodwinds) Kelly Pratt, Stuart Bogie (woodwinds) ? (drums) Nick Petree (drums, percussion)

1 comment:

Jon said...

Thanks very much for the kind words, Terri. In case you're still curious, the second drummer was a fellow named Dave Treut.