Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heikki Sarmanto @ St Mark's Church 2/25/09

I saw this advertised in AAJ. Since it was on the way to Sullivan Hall and I was curious, I decided to go check it out.

I got there just before it started at 8:30. He did some solo piano stuff and was then joined by a bass and drums for a few. It was good. It was more straight ahead than I was expecting. I was also tired and it was making me feel quite mellow, even though it wasn't super-mellow music.

After the solo and trio pieces, they brought up a trombone and a singer. The trombone was more lively, and it was waking me up a little. I left during the next song, which was a Blues number. It was good, and more lively than I'm making it sound. I just wasn't in the mood for it.

Heikki Sarmanto at St Mark's Church
Feb 25, 2009 - 08:15 pm
with Jeannine Otis, vocals.

The MAGIC SONGS CD is a musical collaboration between Heikki Sarmanto, noted Finnish composer, and Jeannine Otis, vocalist. The CD, released globally by Warner/European Records, explores the poetry of Eino Leino as translated by the late Aina Swann Cutler through Heikki's music. These songs have become classics and are listened to all over the world. The collaboration between Heikki and Jeannine highlights the best of the possibilities of cultural exchange.
Heikki will also perform some of his other original compositions and be available to meet immediately after the concert.

Place: Saint Marks Church in-the-Bowery, located at 131 East Tenth Street on the corner of Second Avenue.
This concert is open to all who can attend..
The suggested donation is $10.

No comments: