Friday, February 6, 2009

Joe Martin group @ Small's 2/5/09

Chris Potter was the draw for me. I got there at 9:30 and they were on. The set ended at 10:25, so I assume I didn't miss much.

It was $20 with no drink included, usually at Small's it includes a drink. I was told when I came in there was plenty of standing room up front. They had removed the bar stools so we could double-up at the bar. However, no one was, instead they were crowding in the back. I chose to move up and got an excellent spot for seeing and dancing. I don't know if the draw for everyone was also Chris or not. This definitely lived up to expectations.

It was stellar. The music was captivating and lively. I thought they were all on Chris' level. I'm not sure if I ever saw Obed before. I have seen him in the listings a lot lately as a sideman. Now I know. He definitely goes on my very long list of excellent drummers I love. I wonder if he plays other genres besides jazz. He certainly adds a lot to the music with the jazz drumming.

I'm glad I'm able to make it over to Small's a little more lately. I went a very long period without going there much. It was one of the first places I started my jazz explorations. I love how there's a mirror behind the piano so you can see the pianists hands. It's pretty cool.

Joe Martin (bass) group featuring Chris Potter (sax), Obed Calvaire (drums), Danny Grissett (piano)

No comments: