Monday, February 2, 2009

Dan McCarthy @ Cornelia St 1/30/09

I wanted to go to this show especially because Nasheet Waits was on drums. I also know that anything at this venue is good, so it didn't matter that I don't know the others or what they are going to play. Since I like learning about more artists, it was especially appealing.

I got there at around 9:40, in the middle of the 1st set. I'm really loving how the F train can take me to a lot of venues. It was a quick walk and then 2 stops and then a really quick walk.

I was very happy with my choice as soon as I walked in. All I remembered was Nasheet Waits. I didn't see the drummer, but he sounded great. I eventually noticed there were 2 tenors and some vibes as well as a great bass. It took me a while to realize the drummer wasn't Waits.

During the first set a vocalist from Toronto sat in for 1 song. She had a nice deep soulful voice. The 1st set ended at around 10:15ish.

The 2nd set started with a mellow piece with just Dan and 1 tenor. It got lively after that. It ended at around 11:30 and I enjoyed it very much.

George Garzone; Mark Shim, saxophone;
Dan McCarthy, vibraphone;
Michael Bates, bass;
? drums

No comments: