Friday, July 23, 2010

Zozimos @ The Stone 7/21/10

I had an hour an what better way to spend it than at The Stone. I was very happy with my choice when I saw taper Scott and the instrument setup. Also, I couldn't remember ever seeing the violin, guitar, drummer, tuba, sax, or trumpet player before. This was bound to be another winner. It was.

They play as an orchestra at Tea Lounge often. Somewhere along the way, they decided to do a Hansel and Gretel operetta. Ben Has been gradually putting it together and adding to it for the Tea Lounge shows. It sounds like quite a feat and there will eventually be footage on youtube. For this show at The Stone, he picked his favorite 6 pieces and rearranged them for this chamber ensemble. Each piece featured a different artist. I loved the concept!

The music is great. The musicians are great. I'm interested to see the whole shebang with the orchestra. It was an awesome set and a wonderful use of that hour of my time.

Ben Stapp & the Zozimos
Justin Wood (saxes, flute) Kenny Warren (trumpet) Danny Fischer (drums) Curtis Stewart (violin) Isaac Darche (guitar) Ben Stapp (tuba, narrator)
A collective Chamber Group performing selections from Mr. Stapp's jazz-folk operetta Hansel and Gretel (Instrumental Version) Incorporating rhythmic drones, faux 4-D tonality, folk melodies, break-beats and more. A night of aural story telling/sound painting.

No comments: