Thursday, July 8, 2010

Brass Bands @ Montreal Jazzfest 7/2/10

It was a nice day and I made it out to the fest early. It's free and in the middle of the city. There was a brass band that was fun. They are called Grüv'n Brass. They are funky NOLA style. Now, when you are spoiled like I am and get to see a lot of great NOLA brass bands often, they can't hold a candle to them. However, they are good and fun if you aren't quite as spoiled. The NOLA brass is just more powerful. I did enjoy their set while sitting in the fest bistro and shaking my shoulders a bit. They certainly aren't bad. I also just checked out their site and it's cute:
http://www.gruvnbrass.com/


I was on my way out when I saw this Hungarian-style brass band with a circle of people gathered around them. They were about to start. It turns out they are from Belgium and are called l'Orchestre International du Vetex. They are fun! They have both a tuba, yes tuba and not sousaphone, and a baritone sax. There's 3 trumpets, one of which sometimes plays accordion. There's an alto sax and 1 or 2 trombones. And one drummer/percussionist. They had an array of music and I enjoyed it a lot. I stayed for almost the whole set.
http://www.oidv.net/vetexvetex/

No comments: