Monday, July 19, 2010

Vinicius Cantuária @ Jazz Standard 7/16/10

I debated about following the Wamble/Hunter/Purdie show with anything. This was worthy.

They are all great musicians. I was especially drawn to the percussionist, Dende. He was having a lot of fun and had very interesting instruments. Drums I haven't seen before. I see he's local and I must check out his band at some point.

I think Vinicius has the same guitar as Mary Halvorson. He sounded excellent.

The piano player, Takuya Nakamura was very interesting. He had some electronics and and a laptop and a trumpet with a mute. Ah, I see some Nublu gigs on his myspace page. Maybe I'll be able to stay up one night and check it out.

It was a fabulous show.

I had an idea that I was going to do a Sun night triple play repeat run. I wanted to hit the Wamble/Hunter/Purdie 8pm set at Iridium then hit this at 9:30 and then run down to the Village Vanguard for the 11pm Jenny Scheinman show. I'm sorry to say I was too tired to go any where that night - I missed my nap and HBO the couch was calling. It was a great idea in theory.

The listing:
Vinicius Cantuária
  • Vinicius Cantuaria – guitar, vocals
    Takuya Nakamura – piano, trumpet
    Itaiguara Brandao – electric bass
    Adriano Santos - drums
    Dende – percussion

As singer, songwriter, guitarist and percussionist, the career of Vinicius Cantuária connects several zones of Brazilian music. His live sound might best be described as “post-electronica acoustic,”and the band’s repertoire typically includes songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Gilberto Gil, as well as Cantuária’s impressive fund of originals. Writing in the London Guardian, John L. Walters hailed “the doyen of Brazilian singer-songwriters…if more people covered his songs, we'd be talking about him as the new Tom Jobim.” With his latest album, Cymbals (Koch/E1 Entertainment), Vinicius Cantuária celebrates the 50 years of bossa nova with electric guitars and feedback, plus able assistance from Tom Waits collaborator Marc Ribot and pianist Brad Mehldau

No comments: