Friday, August 28, 2009

The Waaw Band @ Zebulon 8/28/09

I got some of my work colleagues together to go out to Williamsburg. I couldn’t get any of them to stay out late for the music, but we had a good time and a good dinner. I had some time to kill in between my friend’s band, Lily Sparks at Public Assembly and the dinner. I didn’t realize how close Zeb is to Public Assembly, since PA is just below Wythe. I also walked by the new Brooklyn Bowl, hoping to get a peak inside. That wasn’t to be because they were having a paid show, it sounded like some kind of alternative band, but I’m not really sure. I knew the sound, I just couldn’t place it. It’s only a matter of time before I get over there I’m sure.

Anyway, I saw there was an African band at Zeb, and I’m always interested in checking out African music. So, I waited around until they came on at about 11. It was pretty good, Senegalese music. I can’t remember the name of the hand-drum. It sounded like a sabar, but looked like a derivative of a conga. It could have been a sabar, it just didn’t look like it to me.

Anyway, I had fun dancing and not being the only one dancing. It was a fun way to kill some time.

Here’s more on them:

8/27/2009 10:00 PM at WAAW Band , Mbalax Music from the Streets of Dakar, Senegal, BROOKLYN, 11211Cost:
http://www.myspace.com/thewaawband

WAAW band plays Mbalax, a pure form of roots African music from the streets of Senegal, believed by many Senegalese to be a true root of American music. WAAW band's unique and original approach to this ancient genre makes it fresh, and new. The WAAW Band is a movement which was started in West Africa by Thierno Camara, a renowned Senegalese Bassist/ Singer/ Songwriter/ Composer who had performed internationally with some of Senegal's most popular artists. In 1998, Thierno had moved to New York and began collaborating with great American musicians such as Ornette Coleman, Michael Brecker and Greg Osby, etc. after which time he began to expand his original concept. By 1999, his concept and vision was legally named WAAW Band™, and began touring the United States and Canada.

No comments: