Friday, August 21, 2009

Rashanim @ Joe's Pub 8/19/09


This was awesome. This is an incredibly talented trio. I continue to be impressed with them.
It started with a 20 minute mini-set of poetry with Shanir playing bass accompaniment. The poet is Jake Marmer. He has a great voice for it and I liked the rhythms.


Then there was about a 5-10 min intermission before the stellar Rashanim hit the stage. It's radical Jewish-influenced music played phenomenally well. They said they were mainly playing off their new album. I've got to admit, I didn't notice whether I've heard the material before or not. Its always new and fresh to me.


Madoff played a couple of different acoustic guitars, a banjo, and a ukulele. He sounded great on everything. Shanir had his acoustic bass and a glockenspiel.


It was too bad it was so sparsely attended. There were a good number of people. I walked in at 9:30 and they said anywhere without a reserved sign. This resulted in most of the tables up front being empty. They really should release the reservations at some point. There were still enough of their fans there.


Jon Madof guitar
Mathias Kunzli drums, percussion
Shanir Ezra Blumenkranz electric bass

No comments: