Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Crash, Braaaww, Thud, Aaaaah" @ The Stone 8/25/09

I was intrigued by the name and knew enough about Tyshawn and Roswell to be excited. I was also running out of chances to see Tyshawn one more time before he leaves.

It was great to see him in this setting. He had me very interested in each move. It was subtle playing, slightly reminiscent of Paul Motion, yet more subtle. I loved watching him on the drums and cymbals.

I don't get many chances to see Roswell any more. He is incredible. He had so many different mufflers for his trombone. Looking back, I wish I paid a little more attention to the differences in sound. I was enjoying listening and watching him, but I seemed to be more captivated with the way Tyshawn was playing and put more attention into that.

I didn't know about Fay before. She has a great voice and enhances the music without overpowering it. I enjoyed hour sounds and words a lot. It was definitely about the sound, which is my kind of vocalist.

It was a great show.

8/25 Tuesday (TO)
8 pm
"Crash, Braaaww, Thud, Aaaaah"
Fay Victor (voice, compositions) Tyshawn Sorey (percussion) with special guest Roswell Rudd (trombone)New York debut performance of this trio! TWENTY DOLLARS

No comments: