Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cooper-Moore @ Bowery Poetry Club 8/18/09

I was pretty tired, but couldn't resist going to this 10pm ESP gig for as long as I could make it. I stayed for about 45 min and it was awesome. It was Cooper-Moore, Willie Applewhite duo. I can't get enough of them.

Willie plays trombone and he's great.

The first piece had Cooper-Moore with the drumheads and Willie on trombone. Then there was a beautiful piece with Cooper-Moore on that homemade harp looking thing. The sound reminded me of an African kora. He then did a solo piece with vocals and a flute. It was wonderful. Then onto a Blues piece with that awesome 1-string bass and trombone. I think he did the solo 2-string banjo/lute instrument and vocals about love. It was awesome. He had Willie come in toward the end and improvise a little. Then back to the drumheads. I had to leave during that, I just knew it would be better to get home.

It was a perfect choice for me that night. The Stone was tempting, but I didn't want to deal with the heat.

No comments: