Monday, December 29, 2008

Bustle in Your Hedgerow @ The Knit 12/28/08

Wow! That was certainly the best Bustle I've ever seen, or at least that's what's in my memory. I've only seen them about 20-25% of the opportunities I've had, though. I think they've evolved, at least in my head. It was more than just having an awesome tribute band play the great songs and remind me of the albums.

Marco was really stretching it and taking it in new directions. I think they all were, I was just noticing Marco more. All of them together were amazing and I didn't feel like I was at a tribute band show, but seeing a great band who were making some awesome tunes their own. There were some tunes that were played closer to the originals than others, and they didn't stretch it THAT much. I would love for this to develop a little more into something a little more creative. Then, I want them to make a live DVD at Le Poisson Rouge. It just kept coming to me over and over so I had to mention it. I also had an idea of adding Mike D. and Skerik as special guests sometime. There were some parts where I thought the vibes or the tablas would be great. How about at jazzfest latenight at Tips?

Joe Russo definitely gets my MVP award. There were a few times where I wasn't quite into it for whatever reason and all I had to do was put my attention on Russo and I was completely blown away every time.

Given all that, the real part that was worth everything was the Metzger long solo at around 1am. I mean, that goes down as one of my favorite musical times of the year! You had to be there, but it was absolutely phenomenal. I'm going crazy just thinking about it again. I can't even remember it, I'm just getting the feeling back. It was really really amazing. It happened after he was grooving for a while on Marco and I think he got inspired to really kick it up. (note: "grooving" isn't quite the right word, but he was really into listening to Marco for a bit and then whipped out this solo).

Each of them blew me away at many different moments. This is a BAND!

When I got up front for a while toward the end of the 2nd set, I was mesmerized by Driewitz for a bit. He was really fun to watch as well. I think the level of playing is why I want a DVD.

The drum solo was impressive. I was amazed at the power he had when he played the drums with his hands.

If they keep that up, and I get more opportunities, I don't think I'm going to miss them anymore.

Oh - and I enjoyed getting down to Buzz Universe in between sets. I didn't make it in time for their first set. It was a lot of fun.

The whole thing ended around 2. I think the 1st set was about 50 min and the 2nd set was about 90. It was a great way to go out at The Knit. I'd like to think I'll be at the new location at some point, but you never know.

No comments: