Thursday, August 7, 2008

Darius Jones + Uumans @ Roulette 8/6/08

Uumans started out interesting and I liked what the sax was doing for the whole first song. The drummer was fine, but he wasn't grabbing me. I started getting a little tired of it after a while, though. It just wasn't my thing, but others seemed to really like it. The Roulette website says it is a "free energy" group. It was improvised, and there were lots of effects with the sax. It was interesting, I was just ready to move on and I wanted them to play a little less.

I chose this show because of the Dirty South influence, I really like Darius Jones, and the time. I would have gone to Issue Project Room, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it over there in time, and this looked like a good consolation prize. The set was about 40-45 minutes, and it was awesome. I really needed some soulful music with great musicians. I hadn't seen the bass or drums before, but I enjoyed their soulful playing a lot. It really struck a nice chord for me. I especially loved the last tune, which Darius dedicated to the South. I think I might have been there in a prior life or something.


Darius Jones w/ Adam Lane & Jason Nazary
Dirty South Soul Improvisation

Uumans

No comments: