Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Charlie Hunter @ Drom 8/27/08

I finally made it to the last night of the residency. I'm so glad I did. I got there around 10:30 and was told they came on about 15 minutes ago. I was glad to see so many people there, and a lot standing in between the bar and the tables. The first stander I saw was Andy Hess.

It wasn't crowded at all, and if there weren't tables it wouldn't have seemed like too many. Still, there were a lot for after 10 on a Wed at that place for jazz. I saw a friend who told me he was there last weekend and they had no tables, so there was a big dance floor. I had been wondering if they ever did that and figured they had to.

I was really into the music for a while. I was able to walk in front of the standers and had a great view. It was to the right of my usual spot, which was taken up with audio and video recording equipment. I loved the drummer, who I don't think I've seen before. Charlie was awesome. The keyboard was fine but I didn't care for the tingy sound that often came out of his playing. Actually, I was irritated by it. No one else seemed to mind. He wasn't doing it the whole time, but often.

I thought I'd be able to stay a little longer if I got a drink. I went over to the bar and there was only 1 bartender which didn't make sense since it was a drinking crowd. It made me wonder since this is the 4th time Charlie has played there this month. Was this the busiest night of the run? Were they unable to get a 2nd bartender? Did they figure they would only need 2 for a couple of hours so they could do without? who knows. After waiting through a song and a half I gave up.

I went back and enjoyed some more, but then the tinginess got to me and I had to go. I left around 11:15 and was pretty satisfied.

I just copied the listing and I'm very surprised that was Erik Deutsch. I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed him in the past. I also don't think many people shared my feelings, they seemed to be into the whole thing.

There were some really awesome drum solos. I think Charile always does a great job with picking drummers. I've loved every one of them I've seen with him so far.

CHARLIE HUNTER TRIO featuring Erik Deutsch (keyboards) & Tony Mason (drums)

No comments: