Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Arturo O'Farrill Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra 8/10/08

It was a great way to end the weekend. I had invited a couple of my jazz loving friends from the workshop to Jazz Standard. When the workshop ended, we were able to gather up 10 people who were really into it. I called on the way over and found out there was plenty of room and told them we'd be there is 15 min. I didn't give my name, so it was fun when I showed up and they saw it was me. They were very happy to see us. We got the long table state left, and really help feed the giant orchestra good energy

It was phenomenal, so full of life. There was one song where Arturo's son came out and played trumpet for his own composition. It was the funkiest composition of the set, I was impressed. The whole thing was amazing. I found out the band they have at Birdland has some different members and they play all Chico O'Farrill's music. This band played one of his tunes, and then a bunch of other stuff. I hadn't realized until now that they call it "Afro-Latin" and not "Afro-Cuban".

The orchestra also work with at-risk kids. They get them instruments and lessons. It sounds like a good thing.

I had a great time, and even got a comped cover for bringing in so many great people on a slow night. Band members were coming up to us and telling us how great our energy was. Everyone in the place was into it and clapping, but I think we gave them a little more. One friend showed up late and they gave her a very reduced cover.

There's a different drummer listed below. That night we had Pheonix Rivera. The whole percussion section was phenomenal. I was really digging Jimmy Delgado on the bongos.

It was an awesome night and I'm looking forward to the next time they play there.

Arturo O'Farrill Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra
Arturo O’Farrill – piano, musical director
Michael Philip Mossman, Jim Seeley, John Walsh, Seneca Black – trumpet
Reynaldo Jorge, Gary Valente, Luis Bonilla – trombone
Doug Purviance – bass trombone
Bobby Porcelli, Erica von Kleist – alto saxophone
Peter Brainin, Ivan Renta – tenor saxophone
Jason Marshall – baritone saxophone
Ruben Rodriguez – bass
Vince Cherico – drums
Jimmy Delgado – percussion
Tony Rosa – percussion

No comments: