Monday, July 21, 2008

UB313 @ Zebulon 7/21/08

I went to see a little of Marshall Allen last night. I was hoping it would start a little earlier due to being Sun night, but they waited until 11pm to start. It was interesting to see that a lot of people showed up around 10:30. There were a lot of people there for the music, but there was also the neighborhood crowd that was there to hang out. When the music was loud, you couldn’t hear them, but you could when it was soft. A lot of them cleared out around 11:15/30 or so, and then it was mainly people interested in the music.

I stayed until about 11:45, but I was pretty tired so I left during a softer part. They started with Marshall on the sax. He moved to the keyboard for the next couple. The other sax guy who’s awesome and always with him read a poem for a bit. I’m not sure if it was Sun Ra’s or his own. The next piece had Marshall on EVI. Then, he went back to the sax for the soft number.

When I decide to leave early, I like to leave when the music is still going on. Sometimes, I will wait through setbreak just so I can leave with music in my head.

No comments: