Thursday, July 24, 2008

National Underground 7/23/08

I was looking for at least a little music and had decided on the Balkan thing at Drom. But, that was postponed until 12am due to the band having traveling weather problems. I do hope they made it because a lot of people were there waiting.

I just wanted a little music, so I tried to think of what I could do. I was thinking The Zinc Bar is usually a good bet, but I didn't feel like going that far. Then I remembered that I've been curious about The National Underground, and it's relatively close. Actually, it's very close unless I'm walking home in a torrential downpour, which is what happened last night. In that case, those 12 blocks feel very far.

I didn't realize there is a downstairs until I left, so I didn't get to check that out yet. I was sucked in immediately due to the Dixieland band playing upstairs. There's no cover upstairs. Downstairs has a cover and they said a band every hour.

I enjoyed the band so I stayed til the end of the set and got about 1/2 hour. I looked hard for a tip jar and didn't see one, so I'm assuming there is none.

The place looks kind of like a honky tonk (not that I really know what that is, it's just what it felt like to me). The piano is a cool looking white wooden thing. This band also had a banjo, clarinet, sax, trumpet, trombone, and drummer. I especially liked the clarinet and the banjo.

It's got a nice vibe. I saw the menu when I was walking out, the choices are hamburger or cheeseburger.

The upstairs is small and there's some comfy places to sit a little farther back from the band.

It looks worthwhile to stop by on the way to other places in the area.

No comments: