Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Theo Croker + Schoenbeck/Eisentadt 7/11/08

Another great night at the Rubin Museum. Just some good old Nawlins influenced straight ahead jazz. I also just found out I won the raffle for 2 free tix to a show of my choice. They seem to have one after every show. You fill out a card with a little bit of info and they do this raffle.

I went because I wanted to see Wycliffe Gordon. He officially went on my radar after that Fats celebration last winter. I'd seen him in the listings often before that, but hadn't had the inclination to get there until after that show. He did not disappoint. Neither did any of the other guys. They were all phenomenal.

Harlem in the Himalayas: The Theo Croker Quartet featuring Wycliffe Gordon;$18 in advance/$20 on the day of
Date: Friday, July 11, 2008
Start Time: 7:00 pm End Time: 9:00 pm
Wycliffe Gordon, trombone
Theo Croker, trumpet
Sullivan Fortner, piano
Chris Mees, bass
Kassa Overall, drums
$18 in advance / $20 day o

I still had another show in me, and with no preconceived notions, that can only mean one thing, The Stone. I couldn't remember who was playing, but that really doesn't matter with The Stone. I was happy when I walked in to see the bassoon player from the last improv night and a drummer. Stellar! We all loved it so much they gave us an encore, in spite of their difficulties dealing with the heat. It wasn't that hot for The Stone.

Saris
Sara Schoenbeck (bassoon) Harris Eisentadt (drums)
Saris plays their own compositions and pieces by some of their favorite composers.

A great night on a semi-slow music weekend

No comments: