Friday, July 4, 2008

Ches Smith's Congs for Brums + Catherine Sikora Trio 7/2/08

Yes, there were 2 more bands in my already awesome night. The next batch of RUCMA gigs are all during the week, which is going to make it more of a challenge. I had the 3rd off, so this was no problem.

I only saw Congs for Brums once before. Ches played the vibe that time as well. This time, he left them at home and just brought the kit and many various percussion thing. It was a 1/2 hour set, so he probably just played the drum songs from this cd. I've wanted to get it for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It was excellent and I could probably see that many times.

I've seen Catherine Sikora before at Galapagos for the This is Our Music series in May. She was in Matt Lavelle's tenor tree and I remember she was great (all of them were). They couldn't get a working amp for the bass so this set was all acoustic. It was about 45 minutes or so and great. All 3 of them were great and blended together really nicely. A good way to cap off my phenomenal evening.

10:30PM - Ches Smith's Congs for Brums:
Ches Smith (drums, vibraphone)
11:15PM – Catherine Sikora Trio:
Catherine Sikora (saxophones)
Francois Grillot (bass)
Bob Hubbard (drums)

No comments: