Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Herbie Hancock @ Carnegie Hall 6/25/10

The introductions of Herbie by Bill Cosby and then of the musicians in the 1st band got us all quite emotional. We gave Herbie a standing ovation when he walked out on stage.

What can I say. The set kicked butt. Ron Carter and Dave Holland took turns on the upright. Sometimes all the horns played on the tune, sometimes it was a subset. It was my first time seeing Wayne Shorter. I must go see him next time I get a chance. Wallace Rooney is incredible. Can I say how much I love Jack DeJohnette? I'm going to Montreal jazzfest mainly because he's gonna be there.

The only disappointment was I thought I couldn't hear Lionel at all. Every once in a while I'd notice him onstage, playing, but I couldn't hear him. I realized during the 2nd band that I could hear Lionel at times. I forgot how unique his sound is. He was the only one besides Herbie that was in both bands. During that 1st band, he was just over-powered intensity-wise.

It really was an outstanding and spectacular set. A once in a lifetime blessing to be a part of.

Interesting, this is the listing from the program. Lionel Loueke isn't listed, but he was there with his guitar the entire set.

Seven Decades: The Birthday Celebration
Herbie Hancock, piano
with special guests:
Terence Blanchard, trumpet
Ron Carter, bass
Jack DeJohnette, drums
Dave Holland, bass
Joe Lavano, saxophone
Wallace Roney, trumpet
Wayne Shorter, saxophone

No comments: