Sunday, June 27, 2010

Frank London's Kali Krew featuring Deep Singh @ Drom 6/22/10

It was funk night at Vision Fest. This band was put together for the occasion. Jessica Lurie even played baritone sax for the gig. That was pretty awesome as was the whole set.

Something has changed at Drom, I'm wondering if there are new owners. I don't think the AC was on. It wasn't sweltering, but it would have been nice to have it. I still danced. Most didn't, but I doubt that had anything to do with the lack of AC.

It was great avant-funk music. it was very interesting that it sometimes seemed like the baritone sax and trumpet were electrified. But, I didn't see any wires. At one point, the trumpet sounded like there was a pedal and effects involved and he wasn't even playing into the mic. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

There was definitely a lot of cool electronic sounds included. Brandon and Anthony added a lot of that. There was a drum focused song that had a way funky rhythm going on. The last song was the funkiest and my favorite.

The listing below doesn't mention Jessica Lurie. She was a nice addition. I also don't recall Deep Singh playing anything other than the dhol, which was fine with me.

Frank London's Kali Krew featuring Deep Singh
Frank London - trumpet
Deep Singh - tabla, dhol & percussion
Anthony Coleman - keyboards
Brandon Seabrook - guitar
Richie Barshay - drums

No comments: