Saturday, March 10, 2012

Joe Sanders' Bass(ed) Imagination @ Jazz Gallery 3/3/12

Leading from the bass!  This was a must go for me since it's so rare to have multiple basses onstage.  Joe Sanders thought an all bass ensemble seemed monotonous, so he added alto sax, piano and drums.  I couldn't help but be reminded of the 6 basses from l'orchestre de contrabasses I saw years ago.  I appreciate that even more after hearing about and reading the program regarding some of Joe's challenges in composing these suites.  Like, there are some notes that can't be played together.

The music was stellar.  Each musician was phenomenal.

Joe Sanders' Bass(ed) Imagination
Bass Suite I - VII
Joe Sanders - bass
Shawn Conley - bass
Ryan Berg - bass
Christopher Mees - bass
Pat Carroll - alto saxophone
Romain Collin - piano
Justin Brown - drums

No comments: