Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Upcoming: The Bush Tetras @ The Kitchen Fri 4/15

This is Dee Pop and I'm telling you, his projects are always awesome.  I know nothing about The Bush Tetras except what I gather from the hype.  It seems to be the most popular of his projects.  I remember being at a Radio I-Ching show at Otto's Shrunken Head and this girl asked me who they were.  She said they sound like The Bush Tetras.  I told her that was Dee Pop's old band and Radio I-Ching is his current band.  She told me how synchronistic it was since she had been listening to a Bush Tetras CD on her way over and had no idea Dee was playing.  How cool is that?  That conversation planted a seed for me.  Soon after, The Bush Tetras re-emerged for a few special shows.  I'm so glad it works out that I finally get to see them.

http://www.thekitchen.org/event/254/0/1/

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3568325

Aluminum Music featuring Z’EV and Bush Tetras
Curated by Nick Hallett

In June 1981, The Kitchen threw itself a behemoth tenth birthday party-cum-fundraiser at a Times Square megaclub. Dubbed Aluminum Nights, the marathon event saw a capacity audience of many hundreds — including, all seem to recall, Mick Jagger backstage — enjoy a diversified array of the downtown sounds being nurtured at the crossroads of The Kitchen’s music program. In 2011, as part of its 40th anniversary season, The Kitchen presents a distilled refraction of the Aluminum Music performed over that memorable weekend.

On Friday, April 15, Industrial music pioneer Z’EV demonstrates his hypnotic, ritualized solo percussion music on a shared bill with cherished No-Wavers, Bush Tetras. Saturday, April 16, features the pairing of former Kitchen Music Director (and Aluminum Nights co-curator) George Lewis’s electroacoustic anthem Homage to Charles Parker (1979) featuring Amina Claudine Myers (piano/organ), Reggie Nicholson (percussion), Matana Roberts (alto saxophone), and Richard Teitelbaum (synthesizers) with the epic disco-minimalism of Peter Gordon’s Love of Life Orchestra, featuring contributions from Kitchen alums Ned Sublette (guitar) and Peter Zummo (trombone).

1 comment:

Damien Olsen said...

Hey, I saw Radio I ching two years ago at ABC no Rio, they played right after Nattahnam, a trio i was leading by the time. I have one of the Radio I ching albums and i listen to it once in a while. I would like to see the band playing live again. I keep a good impression from that show. Inspiring.

So this is my current band, it is called The Restrictor and we played at The same place than Radio I ching, last Sunday:

Here's a link to a selection of our music: http://www.isound.com/restrictor



we hope you will like it.
cheers.

Damien