Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Club d'Elf @ LPR 4/10/11

I didn't get my nap in, but I was still going.  It was nice to see so many people out at a Club d'Elf gig in NYC.  The lineup really has no constants except for Micro but the extra special guests were Hassan Hakmoun, John Medeski, David Fiuczynski, and Steven Bernstein.  Medeski has definitely played with them before on a number of occasions.  I'm not sure if the other 2 ever played with them.

It was great.  I enjoyed it a lot.  It was more subdued than other d'Elf shows I've seen.  They had the sitin special guest, Hassan Hakmoun.  That was great.  When he sat in, he played sintir and Micro played a bass I don't recall him bringing down to NYC before.  Micro also played the thumb piano at some point and I'm not sure if I could hear it.

I left at 12:30ish and they were still on.  It was strange that I started getting a little bored - that never happened before and I've seen them a lot.  I was really into it for a while, and then at that time, I just felt a little flat.  I'm not quite sure what that was about, but I blame David Fiuczynski  I like him in a little more of a jazz setting, but he doesn't always do it for me in more of a jam setting.  It was a good time to leave and rest up for the week.

Here's a nice video/interview of the show:
http://blip.tv/file/5020734


 To celebrate the release of the new Club d'Elf CD Electric Moroccoland/So Below, the band hits the road for a weekend of Northeast dates in Philly, Hudson, NY & NYC. Tour band: John Medeski (keyboards & melodica), Brahim Fribgane (oud, vocal, percussion), Mister Rourke (turntables), Mike Rivard (bass, sintir & bass kalimba) & Dean Johnston (drums) w/ guests w/ Hassan Hakmoun (sintir, vocals), Steven Bernstein (slide trumpet), ...& David Fiuczynski (guitar) in NYC.

No comments: