Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ben Allison @ Jazz Standard 4/12/11

I got out of my dr appt and realized I had just enough time to get to this show so might as well stop in.  It was fantastic.

This was a CD release show.  The CD is Ben's arrangements of other people's music.  He said if he put his ipod on shuffle those songs would come out.  However, there was plenty of reinterpreting in Ben's music, which makes me happy.  My very favorite was the reinterpretation of The Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun".  It was awesome!

I never recognize Jason Lindner when I see him.  He's great.  They were all great.  Steve and Ben blew me away as always.  I love Rudy - he got my attention throughout.  Michael Blake on sax was awesome.

It was well worth stopping by on a nasty, rainy night.

Here's the CD listing. The lineup at the show was all of these guys except for Brandon Seabrook.  I don't recalling seeing Michael with a bass clarinet that night.

Michael Blake – tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
Jason Lindner – Prophet 08 analog synthesizer, piano
Steve Cardenas – guitar
Brandon Seabrook – guitar (tracks 3, 7)
Ben Allison – bass
Rudy Royston – drums
  1. Jackie-ing (Thelonious Monk)
  2. Missed (PJ Harvey)
  3. Some Day We'll All Be Free (Donny Hathaway)
  4. Philadelphia (Neil Young)
  5. St Ita's Vision (Samuel Barber)
  6. We've Only Just Begun (Paul Williams, Roger Nichols)
  7. Broken (Ben Allison)

No comments: