Saturday, April 9, 2011

Dave Douglas & Brass Ecstasy @ Village Vanguard 3/27/11

I was wound up enough from the awesome blues and my great nap earlier that I had to go.  I had to get to this because I am ecstatic about brass, especially a brass project led by Dave Douglas.  I also love catching the last set of the run.  There weren't many people there, but those of us in attendance really wanted to be there.

Yeah, Brass Ecstasy is the perfect name for this.  It's all true brass, no saxophones, and Rudy Royston on drums.  Another french Horn!  How many times do you hear 2 of those in 2 nights?  Technically, Bill Cole's ensemble had a horn, not a french horn, but I can't tell the difference yet. 

I love Marcus Rojas and it feels like way too long since I've seen Luis Bonilla.  This is how all weekends should end.

Dave Douglas, trumpet;
Vincent Chancey, french horn;
Luis Bonilla, trombone;
Marcus Rojas, tuba;
Rudy Royston, drums

No comments: