Saturday, April 9, 2011

Electric Guitar Documentary

I saw a short program about the history of the electric guitar on my flight to Germany at the end of March.  I watched it well into the flight, in the wee hours of the morning, so I wasn't completely alert.  Still, I've read enough about the history in the past that this program filled in some gaps for me.  It was also great to have sound as part of the information.

I learned about lap steels from Hawaii, the early hollow body electrics, acoustic guitars with a pickup, the first Les Paul wooden solid body invention designed by tinkering, the Fender Stratocaster and how revolutionary it was, the addition of pedals, etc.  It was a good program.  I loved how for the end, they played the same song on different guitars in chronological order and flashed some word up as a review.  That was well done.  And, when I was trying to find the documentary on-line, I found the video with that part right here.  It turns out to be Smithsonian's documentary.  The next time I'm in D.C. I need to get to the musical instruments there.

It was a great way to finish a long flight.

No comments: