Saturday, April 30, 2011

Darius Jones/Matthew Shipp @ Jazz Standard 4/27/11

I'm so happy I made it to this.  I got there just in time for the 2nd set.  I give Jazz Standard a lot of credit for booking improvisation performances.  It was a listening audience - not as much consuming.  I have a feeling many stayed over from the 1st set.  It was phenomenal.  I love each of them in whatever they are doing, together they are magnificent.  I was blown away.

Wednesday April 27
DARIUS JONES & MATTHEW SHIPP
  • Darius Jones – alto saxophone
    Matthew Shipp – piano
Pianist Matthew Shipp is one of New York’s most talked–about talents, one who has “not only stretched the definitions of jazz, but also exponentially advanced his own ideas about it conceptually and technically.” (Thom Jurek, AllMusic.com). Alto saxophonist/composer Darius Jones “has the capacity for a proud, rafters–raising tone on alto saxophone, and as an improviser he’s fearless but disciplined.” (Nate Chinen, The New York Times). These two intrepid sonic explorers join forces for the first time on the expansive 13–part song cycle Cosmic Lieder, set for April release on AUM Fidelity. The duo will perform this ambitious work, and extensions thereof, tonight on our stage in a much–anticipated appearance.

No comments: