Friday, June 13, 2008

Kid Jordon Night @ Vision Fest 6/11/08

That was a great night! It was definitely the one I was looking forward to the most. It also brought out a lot of people, it was very crowded. I don’t think I ever heard of Kidd Jordon before seeing he was going to get he lifetime achievement award. I haven’t even had the time to read the artist feature article in this month’s AAJ on him yet.

Well, I certainly understand why they chose to give him this award after the other night. I’m also impressed that he played in almost every ensemble. I got there around 7:15 and they were already on. It was wonderful. They were all amazing and impressive. I noticed the signal woman was trying to get their attention for a while to let them know they were almost out of time. They were so into it, they didn’t even notice and played til about 7:40/5. I think the theme this year is “don’t want to get off the stage”. That’s a very good thing as it means they are really into playing and doing a great job of it. This set was a little more free.

7:00pm Jordan / Bluiett / BurrellKidd Jordan (ts) / Hamiet Bluiett (bs) / Dave Burrell (p)

The next quartet was lively and fun. I mean, it is an allstar lineup. It was very hot, and somehow the audience decided when it was over. Hamid Drake was starting a quiet drum solo and people just started standing up giving a standing ovation as if it was over. I don’t they realized they weren’t done yet, but I also think they were ready to get up for a break. The musicians decided to take the cue and end. Every moment was phenomenal and I did kind of feel cheated out of a drum solo, but I too wanted to get some air.

7:45pm Bang / Jordan / Parker / DrakeBilly Bang (vi) / Kidd Jordan (ts) / William Parker (b) / Hamid Drake (dr)

They were getting more and more behind schedule, but I didn’t think that was a big deal. As long as we’re there for most of it, it’s easy to get into the natural schedule rhythm. I kept taking breaks and walking around or having a margarita somewhere cool. It is hard to find places with good AC down there.

The next quartet was pretty good as well. Alvin Fielder couldn’t make it, so they had Gerald Cleaver instead. I can’t remember much about it. Oh, wait a minute, that was the set I absolultely loved come to think of it. I think they were doing some phenomenal Coltrane stuff, down to the bass solo. If it wasn’t Coltrane, the music very much reminded me of his music in the mid to late 60s. It was stellar.

8:30pm Kidd Jordan QuartetKidd Jordan (ts) / Joel Futterman (p) / William Parker (b) / Alvin Fielder (dr)

After that was the NOLA pays tribute, which I was looking forward to. I don’t think Donald Harrison made it, and I’m not sure who was on drums. It was good NOLA style jazz that you might catch at Snug Harbor. I left in the middle of it, but it was great. I just knew I needed to pace myself on the sleep thing. I think I left around 10:40.

9:15pm New Orleans Pays TributeKent Jordan (fl) / Marlon Jordan (tp) / Donald Harrison (as) / Darrell Lavigne (p) / Elton Heron (b) / Alvin Fielder (dr)

I am sorry I chose to miss this:

10:15pm Anderson / Jordan / Parker / DrakeFred Anderson (ts) / Kidd Jordan (ts) / William Parker (b) / Hamid Drake (dr)

No comments: