Monday, June 2, 2008

The Funky Meters + Dr. Claw 5/30/08

I was due for some funk, and especially some Papa Funk, so I was happy to be at BBs on Fri. I walked in a little before 11 and they hit the stage a little after 11. It was very crowded, but did thin out a little as the night went on. There was good dancing room on the sides, especially once dancers removed the barriers that waiters put up so they can walk through and serve the tables. It was good to see Art up there. George matters! I mean, I don’t think that guy ever has a bad night. Russell was in check for most of the night, meaning he kept his mouth shut and focused. There was a weird birthday moment, but someone gave George $50 to let her come up on stage, and it was very brief.

I was in the bathroom when at the beginning of the encore, it sounded like there was a little kid on stage doing the hokey pokey. I think Russell said he was a Batiste, but I’m not sure. Then they went in to People Say, but I decided to get out of there before they tried to do a singalong. Russell did say it was the last song. They did play for 1.5 hours straight, like the old days. The difference is the encore used to be another ½ hour. It was fun.

I then went down to Sullivan Hall for Dr. Claw, which had Krasno, Nick Daniels, Adam Deitch, and later Ian Neville. There was also a keyboard guy. I got there a little after 1 and it had started about 10 minutes before. I’m glad I got there when I did because I liked the first couple of songs the most. It was more like Soul Funk. I never noticed Nick Daniels singing before, but apparently he does sing in Dumpstaphunk. I haven’t seen them in a while, so it’s not surprising I didn’t notice. Ian showed up around 1:45 or so and they took about a 20 min break to let him set up. I left soon after that because it wasn’t holding me and I was really tired. I also don’t understand why they want to shine bright lights in our faces, especially at that hour.

It was good to get some good old funky music in and I had a good time.

No comments: