Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Touré-Raichel Collective @ City Winery 4/13/12

I saw it on a gig list I monitor and was intrigued by the African-sounding nature.  I checked it out and saw that there weren't many seats left, so I figured I'd grab one.  I have a new spot off to the side by the bar.  My old spot involves being around talkers and not as good sound.  Actually my favorite spot was taken by a cameraman, but maybe next time.

It was phenomenal.  I loved all of it.  Israeli meets African and it melds into something great.  Actually, I bet they are are great in whatever projects they choose to undergo.  I need to check out both of their previous works.  Idan Raichel brought his bass player and Vieux Farka Touré brought his drummer and it was great music.  I bought the CD and I love it.

http://citywinery.com/events/216049
The Touré-Raichel Collective featuring Vieux Farka Touré, Idan Raichel, Souleymane Kane and Amit Carmeli
The Touré-Raichel Collective: Vieux Farka Touré (Mali) and Idan Raichel (Israel), virtuosic superstars from very different backgrounds, join together to create masterworks of collaboration and improvisation. After a chance meeting in an airport in Europe, Idan and Vieux forged a deep friendship that led to an impromptu get together at a small studio in Tel Aviv in November 2010. The resulting recording session – acoustic, spontaneous, entirely improvised, and stunningly beautiful – could only be described as magic, and The Touré-Raichel Collective was born. On the upcoming album The Tel Aviv Session, to be released by Cumbancha on March 27, 2012, Idan and Vieux have captured an inspired musical moment that will bring to mind classic albums such as Talking Timbuktu by Ali Farka Touré with Ry Cooder, Keith Jarret’s The Köln Concert or Vincent Segal and Ballake Sissoko’s acclaimed Chamber Music. The live concert reflects the natural spontaneity and free-form creativity of the recording sessions, allowing audiences to experience firsthand the invention of sublime and transcendent music that crosses boundaries of country, culture and tradition.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

You know, it *always* seems as though I get turned onto music just after they come through New York. Clearly, this was the case again. I have been listening to the album quite a bit and would have loved to have seen them . . . Thanks for the review. Can I subscribe to your concert list so this doesn't happen again? :)